Sweet Potato & Beef Chili
with avocado and tortilla chips
- Lean ground beef - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Red onion - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/4 lb, peeled & cubed
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained
- Chicken stock - 2 1/4 cups
- Avocados - 1 to 2, cubed
- Cilantro - small handful, chopped
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Sour cream - for serving on top of chili
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add onions with a generous dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in ground beef with half the spices and diced tomatoes. Brown and break up with a wooden spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. If there is a lot of grease, drain from the pot.
- Add in sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and remainder of spices. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for another 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
- While soup is cooking, cube avocados and chop cilantro.
- Turn off heat and add in a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce, or any of the spices. Top soup with avocado, cilantro, and sour cream. Scoop chili with tortilla chips.
SO GOOD! Used ground beef instead and was great. 4 servings is really 4 servings.0 Helpful
Took others' advice and reduced the chicken stock (to 1 cup) and increased the spices. Added some cayenne and red pepper flakes, too. Amazing! Didn't need sour cream but really enjoyed it with the chips.0 Helpful
Made with butternut squash! Needed more seasoning.0 Helpful
We used Greek yogurt mixed with salsa verde in place of sour cream. And lots of avocado...0 Helpful
recommended 11/140 Helpful
It was a hit with kids and adults alike, and easy to make! I used 1 cup of chicken stock and doubled the spices.0 Helpful