Sweet Potato & Beef Chili
with avocado and tortilla chips
I could not get enough of this soup. Scooping up heaping bites of sweet potato, avocado, beef (or beans) with tortilla chips made this ultra comforting. This doesn't seem like much of a Thanksgiving recovery meal, but I promise you it's hearty without the heaviness.
Sweet Potato & Beef Chili:
- Lean ground beef - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Red onion - 1 , diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/4 lb , peeled & cubed
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained
- Chicken stock - 2 1/4 cups
- Avocados - 1 to 2 , cubed
- Cilantro - small handful , chopped
- Lime - 1/2 , juice of
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Sour cream - for serving on top of chili
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Ground beef - Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Sweet potatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Spices - Mix together coriander, cumin, paprika, and chili powder in a bowl. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a >5 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add onions with a generous dash of salt. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Next add in ground beef with half the spices and diced tomatoes. Brown and break up with a wooden spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. If there is a lot of grease, drain from the pot.
- Add in sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and remainder of spices. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for another 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
- While soup is cooking, cube avocados and chop cilantro.
- Turn off heat and add in a squeeze of lime juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, hot sauce, or any of the spices. Top soup with avocado, cilantro, and sour cream. Scoop chili with tortilla chips.