Garlicky White Beans with Tomatoes
and angel hair pasta / broccoli
Smarts #1: Any type of pasta will work here, but be sure to adjust your cooking time. Angel hair cooks quickly, so fettuccine or spaghetti will take longer.
Smarts #2: Boiling the pasta and broccoli together saves time (and dishes!).
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Parsley - 1 1/2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 3, chopped
- Beans, cannellini or navy (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pine nuts - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Broccoli florets - 10 oz, chopped
- Pasta, angel hair - 10 oz (sub fettuccine or spaghetti)
- Broccoli / Garlic / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get water boiling for pasta before continuing prep.) Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine garlic and parsley in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make garlic-herb oil - Combine garlic, parsley, and oil. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop tomatoes.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Bring a large stock pot (large enough to hold pasta and broccoli) of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add broccoli in the last 1 1/2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- While pasta is boiling, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until lightly toasted, ~2 minutes. Set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add butter. When butter is melted, add white wine, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic-herb oil and beans and continue cooking until heated through. Remove pan from heat. Squeeze lemon juice over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve tomato and white bean sauce over pasta / broccoli. Grate cheese over top and finish with pine nuts. Enjoy!
Easy to make and tasty.0 Helpful
Excellent. I served over polenta instead of pasta. Easy and flavorful sauce.0 Helpful
Really great, easy and flavorful.0 Helpful
Tasty, but I thought the addition of tomatoes was a bit odd - would have much preferred this to have a strong garlic butter taste. Tomatoes also made the sauce very watery. Definitely opt for fresh parsley instead of dried parsley as well.0 Helpful
This meal was simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Garlicky white beans with tomatoes and broccoli. Buttery yumminess and we always love toasted pine nuts.0 Helpful