Summer Chopped Chicken Saladwith cantaloupe / pistachios / feta
Made with leftover grilled chicken from earlier in the week, this summery salad (originally from 2018) is perfect for a hot day - no cooking required! Fresh cantaloupe might sound like an unusual ingredient to add to a salad, but it provides a cool, slightly sweet note to balance out the other ingredients.
- Honey Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs (leftover from Tuesday) - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped
- Prosciutto (opt) - 2 oz, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Cheese, feta - 5 oz, cubed
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cantaloupe - 10 oz, cubed
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use large grain / stone ground if you have it)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if vinaigrette was made ahead on Wednesday.) Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken / Prosciutto - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Cucumbers / Feta / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cantaloupe - Cube cantaloupe.
- If you’d like the chicken warm, heat in the microwave.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce. Top lettuce with prosciutto, chicken, cucumbers, feta, white and green parts of onions, cantaloupe, and pistachios. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
I was surprised with a night I had to work and was so so grateful to have this meal. Protein dependencies are the bessssst! I was still able to have this delicious healthy salad and work late!0 Helpful
I ended up having to make this as a side salad to go with my honey lime chicken. It was so wonderful, though. I absolutely loved all the flavors together.0 Helpful
Delicious combination of flavors and textures. Very easy to make, also.0 Helpful
We loved this dish! Protein dependencies are our fav! My 5-year-old LOVED the chicken both nights (served the salad to kids deconstructed). We had to sub goat cheese for feta (store was out) and we subbed almonds for pistachios (son is allergic to pistachio), but flavors were wonderful! The dependent chicken and bean/corn salsa was delicious, too! Our 8-year-old LOVED the salsa! Yay!0 Helpful
Perfect summer salad! My husband doesn’t like cantaloupe, so we used peaches instead. We served everything separately so the kids could assemble their own... they tend to eat better that way.0 Helpful