BLT Wrap with Avocadowith honey Dijon squash
We don't consider summer complete without at least one BLT 'sandwich'. This version uses avocado instead of the traditional mayonnaise for a flavorful and plant-based creamy element and serves the BLTs in lettuce wraps. The flavor of the tomatoes really makes the difference here, so seek out heirloom tomatoes if possible. (Even better if you can get them from the farmer's market!)
Smarts: If cooking for two, you may find it easier to cook the bacon on the stovetop. For four or more servings, we find it most efficient to cook in the oven.
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, sliced (heirloom preferable)
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Foil - for baking
- Bacon - 12 strips
- Summer squash or zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp (use large grain / stone ground if you have it)
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Squash - Cube squash. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - (If making Thursday’s meal, make vinaigrette for that night at the same time.) Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then squash with some salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinaigrette (if you made the vinaigrette for Thursday night at the same time, reserve about 2/3 for tomorrow). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble wraps by topping lettuce leaves with avocado, tomatoes, and bacon and wrapping them to eat. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!
We love this BLT! So good and quick and easy.0 Helpful
It was a hit and tasted delicious.0 Helpful
So glad I made the beans too! Good summer weeknight meal.0 Helpful
The BLT was great, but it was a BLT and nothing unexpected. The BEANS however were dynamite!! I've already made them again. That vinaigrette is fabulous.0 Helpful
Simple, easy sandwich. I used spinach instead of lettuce. We were not a fan of the green bean vinaigrette.0 Helpful
Easy to make, a perfect summer meal.0 Helpful