with honey Dijon green beans
We don't consider summer complete without at least one BLT sandwich. This version uses mashed avocado instead of the traditional mayonnaise for a flavorful and plant-based creamy element. The flavor of the tomatoes really makes the difference here, so seek out heirloom tomatoes if possible. (Even better if you can get them from the farmer's market!)
Smarts: If cooking for two, you may find it easier to cook the bacon on the stovetop. For four or more servings, we find it most efficient to cook in the oven.
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, sliced (heirloom preferable)
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 leaves, torn
- Avocados - 1, mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Foil - for baking
- Bacon - 12 strips
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp (use large grain / stone ground if you have it)
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead.)
- Make vinaigrette - (If making Thursday’s meal, make vinaigrette for that night at the same time.) Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Tear lettuce leaves so that they are roughly the size of the slices of bread.)
- Mash avocados - Mash avocados with lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with vinaigrette (if you made the vinaigrette for Thursday night at the same time, reserve about 2/3 for tomorrow). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mashed avocado on half the bread slices. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, bacon, and remaining slices of bread. Serve with green beans on the side and enjoy!
We love this BLT! So good and quick and easy.0 Helpful
It was a hit and tasted delicious.0 Helpful
So glad I made the beans too! Good summer weeknight meal.0 Helpful
The BLT was great, but it was a BLT and nothing unexpected. The BEANS however were dynamite!! I've already made them again. That vinaigrette is fabulous.0 Helpful
Simple, easy sandwich. I used spinach instead of lettuce. We were not a fan of the green bean vinaigrette.0 Helpful
Easy to make, a perfect summer meal.0 Helpful