Mexican Ground Chicken Skillet
Smarts: Don’t let the sauce simmer too long and over-reduce. You want enough sauce to coat the ingredients without completely saturating them.
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Stock, any type - 1 cups
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Poblano peppers - 2, diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breast, ground - 1 1/2 lbs
- Red Enchilada Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1 cup
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Make enchilada sauce - Combine oil (portion for the sauce), cumin, oregano, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until spices are fragrant. Whisk in tomato paste, Adobo sauce, and stock. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together. Taste and add more Adobo sauce if you’d like it spicier. Season with some salt and pepper. (Note: The sauce should be thin. Don’t let it simmer too long and over-reduce.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Peppers / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Combine onions and peppers. Store zucchini in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a large skillet with oil (portion for chicken) over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers with a pinch of salt. Saute until soft, ~4 minutes.
- Add chicken, breaking apart, and saute until nearly cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add zucchini and saute until it begins to soften, ~2 minutes more.
- Pour sauce over top. Stir until sauce begins to simmer, ~1 minute. Taste and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve chicken skillet with cilantro and pepitas on top. Enjoy!
Made this ahead to take for lunches and reheat. It kept a good texture and was very good!0 Helpful
Pretty good. I like the colors in this skillet enchilada more than the green version. Kids complained I didn’t cook the zucchini long enough.0 Helpful
Delicious - we make it frequently and enjoy the leftovers.0 Helpful
The best! Simple and soooo yummy. :-)0 Helpful
This may be my favorite CS meal ever!!! Easy and delicious!0 Helpful
I used canned Old El Paso enchilada sauce as a shortcut. Worked great! I also added cumin and a tiny bit of chili powder for additional flavor.0 Helpful