Middle Eastern Lentil and Couscous Bowls
with tomato, cucumber, and avocado salad
- Stock, any type - 1 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous, uncooked - 3/4 cup
Lentil and Couscous Bowls with Za’atar Yogurt:
- Za'atar - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 2 oz , chopped
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 1 1/2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
Tomato, Cucumber, and Avocado Salad:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , diced
- Cucumbers - 10 oz , diced
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Make couscous - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Combine stock, salt, and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Dice shallots. Whisk shallots with mustard and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make za’atar yogurt - Stir za’atar and lemon juice into yogurt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spinach / Tomatoes / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. Store spinach in one container. Combine tomatoes and cucumbers in another container. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Make salad - Toss tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocados with vinaigrette. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add lentils and spinach with coriander and cumin. Saute until lentils are fragrant and spinach is wilted, ~5 minutes.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Assemble bowls with couscous topped with lentils. Add tomato, cucumber, and avocado salad and finish with za’atar yogurt.