General Tso’s Chickenwith broccoli / cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (use less if you prefer less spice)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Arrowroot flour - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, aminos, garlic, ginger, honey, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. (Note: Use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you’d like.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slurry - Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through (it will finish cooking in the sauce), 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add broccoli and bell peppers. Saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes (at this point, the vegetables will still have a bit of crunch; if you’d like them more tender, add a splash of water and continue to saute until cooked to your liking).
- Add chicken back to pan and pour sauce over top.
- When sauce begins to simmer, give arrowroot powder slurry a stir and add it to sauce.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats chicken and vegetables, ~2 minutes more.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Okay -- but double the sauce.0 Helpful
We made this recipe both in the original and vegetarian versions. Everyone like it. Our tweak would be to omit the bell pepper, we are not fans of cooked bell peppers.0 Helpful
Did one and a half times the sauce and ginger. Also added carrots and peanuts. Easy and delicious!0 Helpful
Nice and quick. Didn’t wow anyone though. Would make again, but maybe with a few tweaks.0 Helpful
Sauce was flavorful and the dish came together quickly since I had leftover cooked chicken on hand.0 Helpful
It was just ok0 Helpful