General Tso’s Tofu
with broccoli / farro
This was a popular meal in 2018, but we've used our community members' feedback to make it even better! A thicker sauce and added color / flavor from red bell peppers make this quick meal a delicious (and much healthier) variation on the take-out classic.
Smarts: If you cooked farro earlier in the week, this meal is great served over that hearty grain. It can, of course, also be served over rice.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (use less if you prefer less spice)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook farro - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. (Note: Use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you’d like.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - Season tofu with some salt and pepper. Toss with first part of cornstarch.
- Make slurry - Whisk together second part of cornstarch and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and saute until tofu is golden brown on all sides, 6 to 7 minutes. Set tofu aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add broccoli and bell peppers. Saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes (at this point, the vegetables will still have a bit of crunch; if you’d like them more tender, add a splash of water and continue to saute until cooked to your liking).
- Add tofu back to pan and pour sauce over top.
- When sauce begins to simmer, give cornstarch slurry a stir and add it to sauce.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats tofu and vegetables, ~2 minutes more.
- If farro was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu and vegetables over farro. Enjoy!
So good! And fast after everything was prepped. I made it with a little extra sauce, but cut down on the red pepper flakes. Might add more next time, since it wasn’t spicy at all with what I added. This will be great with tofu, too!0 Helpful
Easy to make & delicious!0 Helpful
The grands LOVED it and ate it all. It's on the keeper list for sure. We used rice instead of farro, added carrots. Halved the brown sugar. No red pepper flakes, but if I was making it just for me I would have included them.0 Helpful
Sauce works great with any veggie and protein you have in the fridge too!0 Helpful
Loved this one. We intended to cook for 2 serves, but after having to buy a whole capsicum anyway, and having twice the chicken in our freezer that needed using, we doubled the sauce, used metric tablespoons for the slurry, and it all worked fine. Eyeballed the pepper flakes. Still great on barley!0 Helpful
Delicious! We added cauliflower and Lima beans to the broccoli and made 1.5x the sauce and it was great.0 Helpful