General Tso’s Chickenwith broccoli / cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (use less if you prefer less spice)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Arrowroot flour - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, aminos, garlic, ginger, honey, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. (Note: Use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you’d like.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slurry - Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through (it will finish cooking in the sauce), 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add broccoli and bell peppers. Saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes (at this point, the vegetables will still have a bit of crunch; if you’d like them more tender, add a splash of water and continue to saute until cooked to your liking).
- Add chicken back to pan and pour sauce over top.
- When sauce begins to simmer, give arrowroot powder slurry a stir and add it to sauce.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats chicken and vegetables, ~2 minutes more.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
So good! And fast after everything was prepped. I made it with a little extra sauce, but cut down on the red pepper flakes. Might add more next time, since it wasn’t spicy at all with what I added. This will be great with tofu, too!0 Helpful
Easy to make & delicious!0 Helpful
The grands LOVED it and ate it all. It's on the keeper list for sure. We used rice instead of farro, added carrots. Halved the brown sugar. No red pepper flakes, but if I was making it just for me I would have included them.0 Helpful
Sauce works great with any veggie and protein you have in the fridge too!0 Helpful
Loved this one. We intended to cook for 2 serves, but after having to buy a whole capsicum anyway, and having twice the chicken in our freezer that needed using, we doubled the sauce, used metric tablespoons for the slurry, and it all worked fine. Eyeballed the pepper flakes. Still great on barley!0 Helpful
Delicious! We added cauliflower and Lima beans to the broccoli and made 1.5x the sauce and it was great.0 Helpful