General Tso’s Chicken
with broccoli / cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (use less if you prefer less spice)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Arrowroot flour - 2 tsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, aminos, garlic, ginger, honey, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. (Note: Use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you’d like.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cube chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slurry - Whisk together arrowroot powder and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through (it will finish cooking in the sauce), 4 to 5 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add broccoli and bell peppers. Saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes (at this point, the vegetables will still have a bit of crunch; if you’d like them more tender, add a splash of water and continue to saute until cooked to your liking).
- Add chicken back to pan and pour sauce over top.
- When sauce begins to simmer, give arrowroot powder slurry a stir and add it to sauce.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats chicken and vegetables, ~2 minutes more.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
Used seitan instead of tofu; delicious and quick & easy0 Helpful
Really delicious and very quick to come together0 Helpful
Easy & tasty0 Helpful
Loved this! Easy and delicious and loved the farro as the grain! A great change of pace from rice.0 Helpful
Easy and tasty. I felt like it needed *something*.... perhaps some green onions?0 Helpful
This was my favorite variant of the classic cooksmarts stir fry. Something about the General Tso's sauce made it excellent0 Helpful