General Tso’s Tofu
with broccoli / farro
This was a popular meal in 2018, but we've used our community members' feedback to make it even better! A thicker sauce and added color / flavor from red bell peppers make this quick meal a delicious (and much healthier) variation on the take-out classic.
Smarts: If you cooked farro earlier in the week, this meal is great served over that hearty grain. It can, of course, also be served over rice.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp (use less if you prefer less spice)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cook farro - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic / Ginger - Combine broccoli and bell peppers in one container. Store garlic and ginger in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine stock, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. (Note: Use more or less red pepper flakes depending on how much spice you’d like.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - Season tofu with some salt and pepper. Toss with first part of cornstarch.
- Make slurry - Whisk together second part of cornstarch and water.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and saute until tofu is golden brown on all sides, 6 to 7 minutes. Set tofu aside.
- Add second part of cooking oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add broccoli and bell peppers. Saute until nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes (at this point, the vegetables will still have a bit of crunch; if you’d like them more tender, add a splash of water and continue to saute until cooked to your liking).
- Add tofu back to pan and pour sauce over top.
- When sauce begins to simmer, give cornstarch slurry a stir and add it to sauce.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and coats tofu and vegetables, ~2 minutes more.
- If farro was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu and vegetables over farro. Enjoy!
Yum! I made both original and vegetarian versions, as we have two meat eaters and two vegetarians in my family. Easy to adapt to individual preferences (e.g., I used carrots instead of broccoli). I made it with rice. The sauce is tasty and plentiful.0 Helpful
I had this recipe with rice instead of farro because I couldn't find farro at the shops. This is probably my favorite recipe so far on CookSmarts. I may add a half an onion next time.0 Helpful
added carrots and less broccoli! Would add cashews next time too!0 Helpful
Delicious and easy/quick to make! Next time I'll use just a liiiittle less red pepper but overall we loved it!0 Helpful
Delicious! We served it over rice at the kids’ request.0 Helpful
Very tasty!!0 Helpful