Summer Rice Saute with pancetta / summer squash / corn / tomatoes / fried egg
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2/3 cup
- Summer squash - 16 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Leeks - 2, white parts chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz, diced (look for pre-diced pancetta near the deli meat)
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/4 cups
- Basil - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- White wine - 1/2 cup, sub stock
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Leeks / Pancetta (if not pre-diced) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan or wok over medium heat. Add pancetta and saute until pancetta is crisp and golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of oil (or add a splash of cooking oil if the pan looks dry).
- Add leeks and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer until wine is absorbed by leeks, ~3 minutes.
- Add summer squash and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add ground coriander, paprika, and tomatoes and saute until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Fold in rice (reserve half if doubled for Thursday) and corn until warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice and pancetta. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan and fry until cooked to your liking - on one side for sunny-side up or flip to cook on both sides.
- Divide rice between serving plates. Top with basil and a fried egg. Season egg with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Solid. Came together easily with veggies prepped. Although still look some time to saute. Kids liked it well enough.0 Helpful
I didn't think the egg added anything. I'd have preferred some onion and maybe some cheese. Needed LOTS more pancetta. Might be good with bacon.0 Helpful
Super tasty and easy! I think I’d add more pancetta next time. I ate it for breakfast the next day.0 Helpful
We liked it a lot!! We also added some pine nuts at the end.0 Helpful
Delicious!! Can’t wait to make again!0 Helpful
Yummy! I left out the squash and tomatoes and added an onion, and cooked my egg in the rendered fat from the pancetta according to Smitten Kitchen's "the crispy egg" method. Would repeat- low effort and tasty.0 Helpful