Summer Farro Sautewith pancetta / summer squash / corn / tomatoes / fried egg
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Summer squash - 16 oz, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Leeks - 2, white parts chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz, diced (look for pre-diced pancetta near the deli meat)
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/4 cups
- Basil - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- White wine - 1/2 cup, sub stock
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Cook farro - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Leeks / Pancetta (if not pre-diced) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan or wok over medium heat. Add pancetta and saute until pancetta is crisp and golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of oil (or add a splash of cooking oil if the pan looks dry).
- Add leeks and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer until wine is absorbed by leeks, ~3 minutes.
- Add summer squash and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add ground coriander, paprika, and tomatoes and saute until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Fold in farro (reserve half if doubled for Thursday) and corn until warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice and pancetta. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan and fry until cooked to your liking - on one side for sunny-side up or flip to cook on both sides.
- Divide farro between serving plates. Top with basil and a fried egg. Season egg with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
This meal has 30 reviews
Tasty and simple. Seasoned with salt and pepper throughout the preparation.
Had a bit extra pancetta in the pack I bought so added it all. I do love farro so this had a lot of favorites for me. Egg done sunny side up and the yolk added lots of flavor too.
So easy and satisfying. Came together quickly with the veggies prepared ahead. The farro was a nice change from pasta and rice.
Loved this! This was the type of meal I never would have considered eating before joining CS. Love how much my horizons have expanded.
Used hot pancetta - the heat was a welcome addition to the dish. Also used button squash instead of summer squash and salad onions instead of a leek (seasonality/availability substitution). Next time would try for a thicker cut pancetta than what we got (or bacon). And an actual leek.
Used turkey instead of chicken. Took about 35 minutes for me with no prep. This is something that you could double and reheat, minus the egg. Next time I might use diced red pepper instead of tomato just personal preference. Would also be good for breakfast.