Summer Farro Saute
with summer squash / corn / tomatoes / fried egg
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Summer squash - 1 lb, chopped (sub zucchini)
- Leeks - 2, white parts chopped
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/4 cups
- Basil - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup, sub stock
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Eggs - 4
- Cook farro - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Leeks - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a saute pan or wok over medium heat. Add first portion of oil and then leeks with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer until wine is absorbed by leeks, ~3 minutes.
- Add summer squash and saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add ground coriander, paprika, and tomatoes and saute until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Fold in farro (reserve half if doubled for Thursday) and corn until warmed through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second portion of oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan and fry until cooked to your liking - on one side for sunny-side up or flip to cook on both sides.
- Divide farro between serving plates. Top with basil and a fried egg. Season egg with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Weird combination of things, but really tasty!0 Helpful
It was so-so, a little bit bland for us.0 Helpful
Kids loved it. I thought it was as so-so.0 Helpful
It was my first time trying farro! I used bacon instead of the pancetta and it was delicious.0 Helpful
The paleo version of this is pretty flat :(0 Helpful
Would add more pancetta or maybe swap in bacon, it got a bit lost this time. Used zucchini, sweet peppers, and carrots as my veggies since those were in the house. So delicious, especially with the egg!0 Helpful