Leftover Plantain Melt
with cumin-spiced green beans
- Pickles, dill - 4, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Leftover Seared Plantains (from Monday) - 1 1/2
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading half the bread slices with mayo / mustard mixture. Top with leftover plantains, pickles, cheese, and remaining bread.
- Heat a griddle or grill pan over medium heat. Add first portion of butter and swirl it around in the pan until it melts.
- Place sandwiches on heated pan (if you have a heavy skillet you can place it on top of the sandwiches to press them like a panini press). Grill sandwiches on the first side until golden brown. Add second portion of butter and let it melt around the sandwiches. Flip the sandwiches and continue cooking until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- While sandwiches are cooking, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until green beans are tender and bright green, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with cilantro, oil, cumin, and vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve plantain melts with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Great flavor to go with the meat (I had venison shoulder instead of pork) and very easy and efficient to use the leftovers from the pork bowls earlier in the week!0 Helpful
Loved this. Being from South Florida, this is comfort food.0 Helpful
A very quick meal, but the pork, pickles, and mushroom was really odd together.0 Helpful
This was easy and fast. Really tasty.0 Helpful
So good! One of my husband's favorite sandwiches and it came together really quickly with the leftover pork. Would love to see that meal combo again in the future!0 Helpful
Amazing! The choice of pickles in the grilled sandwich was an inspired one! I was skeptical, but dill pickled added a ton to the flavour.0 Helpful