Leftover Mojo Pork Cubano
with cumin-spiced green beans
With shredded Mojo pork leftover from earlier in the week, these Cubano sandwiches are a breeze to make. Although we featured the Cubanos back in 2017, we changed things up a bit this time, suggesting sandwich bread (which can be easily pressed between skillets like panini) instead of baguette and serving the sandwiches with flavorful green beans on the side.
Leftover Mojo Pork Cubano:
- Pickles, dill - 4 , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Bread, sandwich - 8 slices
- Leftover Mojo Pork (from Monday) - ~3 cups (sub sliced ham 2 slices / serving)
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
Cumin-Spiced Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Green beans / Pickles (if not pre-sliced) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sandwich spread - Whisk together mayonnaise and mustard. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading half the bread slices with mayo / mustard mixture. Top with pork, pickles, cheese, and remaining bread.
- Heat a griddle or grill pan over medium heat. Add first portion of butter and swirl it around in the pan until it melts.
- Place sandwiches on heated pan (if you have a heavy skillet you can place it on top of the sandwiches to press them like a panini press). Grill sandwiches on the first side until golden brown. Add second portion of butter and let it melt around the sandwiches. Flip the sandwiches and continue cooking until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- While sandwiches are cooking, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until green beans are tender and bright green, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with cilantro, oil, cumin, and vinegar. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve cubanos with green beans on the side. Enjoy!