Summer Sausage and Vegetable Soup
Summer Sausage and Vegetable Soup:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 6 oz , diced
- Summer squash - 8 oz , cubed (sub zucchini)
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Roasted red bell peppers - 1 , chopped (from a jar)
- Sausage, any pre-cooked or smoked variety - 12 oz , cubed
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves , chiffonade
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 1
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sausage. Saute until sausage is golden brown, ~5 minutes.
- To sausage, add onions and carrots. Saute until onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over aromatics. Add bay leaves, squash, and bell peppers. Simmer soup until squash is tender, ~10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Finish with basil on top. Enjoy!