Summer Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 6 oz, diced
- Summer squash - 8 oz, cubed (sub zucchini)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Roasted red bell peppers - 1, chopped (from a jar)
- Sausage, any pre-cooked or smoked variety - 12 oz, cubed
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Bay leaves - 1
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sausage. Saute until sausage is golden brown, ~5 minutes.
- To sausage, add onions and carrots. Saute until onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over aromatics. Add bay leaves, squash, and bell peppers. Simmer soup until squash is tender, ~10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Finish with basil on top. Enjoy!
Needs extra spice0 Helpful
OK - I loosely made this. Way more veggies, chicken sausage, didn't have fresh basil, forgot about the lemon, etc. However, it was delicious.0 Helpful
Loved it and served with cheesy naan crisps as a side to dip0 Helpful
I couldn't find tortellini in South Africa, but Woolies had miniature ravioli in their fresh pasta section so I used those instead. I like this recipe for lunches, but it's not one of my favorites from CookSmarts. It might just be because I made the orange salmon and the general Tso's this week and those two recipes were amazing!0 Helpful
I loved this, but my husband will do anything to not eat another bean soup. So probably wouldn't make it again.0 Helpful
Awesome! I really like tortellini, so we doubled the amount of in the recipe. Could have used even more :)0 Helpful