Summer Vegetable and Tortellini Soupwith basil / parmesan
Not everyone thinks to serve soup in the summer, but it's a great way to utilize the abundance of fresh produce available this time of year.
Smarts: Wait and add the tortellini to the soup until right before serving so that it doesn't absorb too much liquid.
- Pasta, tortellini - 8 oz
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 6 oz, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves, chiffonade
- Corn on the cob - 2 ears, kernels sliced off (sub frozen corn, ~1/2 cup / ear)
- Beans, cannellini or white (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, parmesan rind, small (opt) - 1
- Bay leaves - 1
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - for serving, grated
- Tortellini - (If prepping right before cooking, get the soup simmering while tortellini cooks.) Cook tortellini according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil - Chiffonade or thinly slice.
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off ears. If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions and carrots. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
- Pour stock and tomatoes (including liquid) over aromatics. Add parmesan rind and bay leaves. Simmer soup for 10 minutes to let flavors come together.
- Stir in corn and beans and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves.
- Divide tortellini between serving bowls. Ladle soup over top. Finish soup with basil and grated cheese. Enjoy!
This meal has 24 reviews
I loved this, but my husband will do anything to not eat another bean soup. So probably wouldn't make it again.
Awesome! I really like tortellini, so we doubled the amount of in the recipe. Could have used even more :)
Super delicious! And pretty easy too.
I really liked this! Perfect for WW. I only did 4 cups of broth, and added a bit of basil pesto at the end instead. Husband liked it as well.
Very good, especially for a rainy summer day. I might add more tortellini or maybe some more veggies next time to make it a bit more filling (I tend to like very hearty soups and stews). I didn’t add any salt this time and I’ll definitely add some next time.
Tasty, easy, healthy!!! How can you go wrong?!?! I cleaned the fridge out -- added zuc, cauli, spinach... and used frozen ravioli instead of tortellini and added 1# (for 8 people) of ground turkey since my boys cannot handle beans. I love how flexible this recipe is now that I'm more comfortable in the kitchen!