Vegetable Sandwiches with Pesto
and pineapple spears
Smarts: If you're cooking on the grill, be sure to slice the vegetables in a shape that can easily fit over the grates or use a grill basket.
Smarts: The pineapple spears served on the side of this meal can be served fresh, but for a different twist, they are also great grilled. Searing the fruit caramelizes its natural sugars.
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 lbs, sliced into spears
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 2, sliced into 1" / 2.5 cm wide pieces
- Summer squash - 1 lb, sliced into rounds (sub zucchini)
- Rolls, like ciabatta or sandwich - 4 (sub baguette)
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Make pesto - (Skip if made ahead for Monday; if prepping right before cooking and using grill, get grill heating before continuing with prep.) Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese (if using), basil leaves, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil until smooth. (Add some additional olive oil if needed to help everything blend.) Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Squash - Prep as directed and combine. (Note: If cooking on the grill, you'll want to use a grill basket or slice these large enough that they will sit on the slats of the grill.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Slice rolls open. (If using baguette, slice open through the center lengthwise and divide into portions to make sandwiches.)
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add some cooking oil and then peppers, onions, and squash. Saute until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Toast bread.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees and clean grates. Brush peppers, onions, and zucchini with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange on grill (use a grill basket if you have one or place them on a piece of foil on the grill to prevent them from falling through the cracks). Grill uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes, turning as they cook. If you'd like the pineapple spears grilled, grill them on both sides for about 3 minutes total. Toast bread on the grill in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on pesto and layering in vegetables. Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
Sometimes use red onions0 Helpful
Easy Deliciously healthy0 Helpful
A little on the bland side. Could maybe use more spice with the veggies. Could be because I didn't make this on a grill.0 Helpful
The sandwich was a little messy but the flavor was good. I had leftover pesto from a previous Cooksmarts meal in my freezer, so this turned out to be a pretty quick meal.0 Helpful
It's fine but kind of boring. Some parmesan cheese melted over the veggies probably would have helped.0 Helpful
We really enjoyed this! Made the “paleo” version which for us was just the original but without bread and more meat. Funny thing is, as we ate the steak and the veggies we kept thinking “wow, this would make a really good sandwich.” If you’re cooking on the stove you’ll probably need to split everything into two batches (with the steak and veggies combined for flavor, don’t cook just the veggies followed by just the steak!) unless you have a much larger pan than I do.0 Helpful