Tofu “Steaks” with Miso Butter
and corn / zucchini / rice
- Tofu, extra firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm thick steaks (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced into spears
- Corn on the cob - 4 ears
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Green onions (opt) - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Butter, unsalted - 4 Tbsp
- Miso - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick “steaks”. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions (if using) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make miso lime butter - Soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in miso, lime juice, and green onions. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Corn - Slice zucchini into long spears. Shuck corn. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Marinate zucchini and tofu - Whisk together garlic, oil, soy sauce, and ground coriander. Place tofu and zucchini in a baking dish. Pour marinade over top. Marinate for 20 minutes. (If using a grill, get grill heating while tofu and zucchini marinate.)
- If making tofu on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Sear corn and zucchini (discard marinade) over direct heat. Transfer to indirect heat and allow to cook until tender, turning every few minutes. While corn and zucchini cook, place tofu over direct heat. Sear for ~2 minutes on each side. Move tofu to indirect heat. Close cover and cook tofu, corn, and zucchini until vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- If making tofu on stovetop: Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Add corn and boil until corn is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. While corn boils, heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and add tofu and zucchini (do this in batches if needed; discard marinade). Sear tofu and zucchini on both sides until zucchini is tender, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- Enjoy tofu over rice with zucchini and corn on the side. Serve miso lime butter over everything.
The butter is always amazing. We love this dish0 Helpful
Made with pork tenderloin and grilled. Miso butter is good.0 Helpful
The miso butter was awesome; we doubled it and didn't regret it. Would have preferred something other than tofu, or at least tofu a little more fried.0 Helpful
This is a favorite, LOVE the miso butter. Could put it on anything. Seared pork on each side for 2-3 min, then 8 minutes in the oven. This article was helpful: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/38978/oven-baked-pork-chops/0 Helpful
So so in love with miso butter <30 Helpful
Really good! Hard to go wrong with miso butter. :)0 Helpful