Coconut Crusted Chicken Saladwith avocado / almonds / oranges
This fresh summery salad was first featured in 2016.
Smarts: The key to getting the coconut crust a nice golden brown is controlling the temperature of the pan as it cooks. Keep a close eye on it and reduce the temperature if the coconut starts to brown before the chicken is cooked through.
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head, chopped (sub any lettuce)
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced
- Oranges - 2, segments (sub canned mandarin oranges, drained)
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 2
- Coconut, shredded - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp (use coconut oil for even more coconut flavor)
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make honey mustard dressing - Combine mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken into 1/2” / 1.3 cm strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Oranges / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Prep breading stations - Set out three shallow baking dishes or bowls. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in the first dish. Whisk eggs in the second dish. Put coconut in the third dish.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil to heated pan. (Note: Don’t let the pan get too hot while cooking or the coconut will burn.)
- Working quickly (it’s easiest to use your hands), coat chicken slices first in flour, then in egg, then in coconut, pressing coconut into the chicken if it doesn’t easily stick. Gently place chicken in heated oil.
- Cook chicken slices, without moving them, until the bottom turns golden brown, ~4 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side until chicken is cooked through, ~3 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Gently toss lettuce with oranges, avocados, and almonds. Top with chicken slices and drizzle salads with honey mustard dressing. (Alternatively, serve the salad on the side tossed with half the dressing. Dip chicken strips in the other half of dressing.) Enjoy!
Super fast and easy! I think I could have used more coconut but it was delicious. I ended up air frying my chicken for a little healthier option. Will definitely be making this again.0 Helpful
I thought my kids would gobble this up but they were kinda Meh. It was good though! And easy0 Helpful
I didn’t love the shredded coconut on the chicken. I like the flavor and the coconut oil, but the shredded coconut didn’t fry properly. Could be user error! I do love the oranges in the salad.0 Helpful
Enjoyed this just like we did last time! Used sweetened coconut because it’s what we had, definitely a bit of a process but really good. Subbed peach instead of orange0 Helpful
This was fantastic, quick, and loved by my toddler!0 Helpful
Very good, especially for the summer. I wouldn’t make it very often as my husband doesn’t like fried food very frequently, but he likes salad so this was a nice mix. Will be making again0 Helpful