Halloumi with Pan Sauce
and orzo / green beans
Halloumi with Pan Sauce and Orzo:
- Pasta, uncooked orzo - 3/4 cup (sub any small pasta shape)
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp , chopped
- Cheese, Halloumi - 8 oz , 1" / 2.5 cm slices (sub tofu)
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Steamed Green Beans with Lemon and Almonds:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1 , zest of
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Pasta - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives (if using) - Chop chives. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Halloumi - Rinse with water to remove excess salt from halloumi. Slice into 1” / 2.5 cm slices. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prep breading - Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Working in batches if needed, quickly coat halloumi slices in breading (shake off excess) and transfer halloumi to heated oil.
- Sear halloumi on both sides until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes total. Set halloumi aside and cover to keep warm.
- When all of the halloumi is cooked, return pan to heat and add stock and lemon juice, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer sauce until it reduces down to nearly the thickness of oil, 3 to 4 minutes. (Note: be patient with this step. Reducing the liquid significantly is what will prevent the sauce from "breaking" when you add the sour cream.)
- While pan sauce reduces, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with butter and lemon zest. Season with some salt and pepper. Top with almonds.
- Return to pan sauce when it has reduced. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve halloumi slices over orzo with pan sauce on top. Enjoy green beans on the side.