Chicken Cutlets with Pan Sauceand orzo / green beans
A quick pan sauce can add an easy, elegant touch to a simple weeknight meal. Sour cream gives the sauce in this recipe a rich texture and tangy flavor. A version of this recipe used turkey back in 2016.
- Pasta, uncooked orzo - 3/4 cup (sub any small pasta shape)
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced and pounded thin
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, zest of
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Pasta - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives (if using) - Chop chives. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve and thin out to about 1/2” / 1.3 cm thickness. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading - Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Working in batches if needed, quickly coat chicken in breading (shake off excess) and transfer chicken to heated oil.
- Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Set chicken aside and cover to keep warm.
- When all of the chicken is cooked, return pan to heat and add stock and lemon juice, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer sauce until it reduces down to nearly the thickness of oil, 3 to 4 minutes. (Note: be patient with this step. Reducing the liquid significantly is what will prevent the sauce from "breaking" when you add the sour cream.)
- While pan sauce reduces, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with butter and lemon zest. Season with some salt and pepper. Top with almonds.
- Return to pan sauce when it has reduced. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken over orzo with pan sauce on top. Enjoy green beans on the side.
Simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Amazing! I forgot to buy a lemon so I had to omit it completely, but it turned out great and I don’t even think I would use one in the future0 Helpful
The sauce was delicious! Probably a bit intense though with how much it reduced, and we wanted more, so next time I think I'd dilute it a little with a bit of heavy cream. Definitely saving this and making it again.0 Helpful
I made the veggie and chicken version, both were awesome!! I made a double batch of the sauce (since I had 2 frying pans with the 2 proteins) and added slightly less sour cream then the recipe called for (just added until it was a consistency I thought looked good). One of my favourites and will totally make again!0 Helpful
I really didn't care for this at all. The sour cream made the sauce way too sour/strong tasting and it came out very pasty. I had to thin it quite a bit and it was still too much. I'd rather stick with cream.0 Helpful
Delicious! And toddler approved :) Subbed greek yogurt for sour cream and it was pretty tart. Will add a splash of heavy cream next time to balance the greek yogurt and lemon juice.0 Helpful