Chicken Cutlets with Pan Sauceand orzo / green beans
A quick pan sauce can add an easy, elegant touch to a simple weeknight meal. Sour cream gives the sauce in this recipe a rich texture and tangy flavor. A version of this recipe used turkey back in 2016.
- Pasta, uncooked orzo - 3/4 cup (sub any small pasta shape)
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced and pounded thin
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, zest of
- Almonds, sliced - 1/4 cup
- Pasta - Cook according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chives (if using) - Chop chives. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Halve and thin out to about 1/2” / 1.3 cm thickness. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading - Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Working in batches if needed, quickly coat chicken in breading (shake off excess) and transfer chicken to heated oil.
- Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Set chicken aside and cover to keep warm.
- When all of the chicken is cooked, return pan to heat and add stock and lemon juice, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer sauce until it reduces down to nearly the thickness of oil, 3 to 4 minutes. (Note: be patient with this step. Reducing the liquid significantly is what will prevent the sauce from "breaking" when you add the sour cream.)
- While pan sauce reduces, place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans with butter and lemon zest. Season with some salt and pepper. Top with almonds.
- Return to pan sauce when it has reduced. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- If pasta was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken over orzo with pan sauce on top. Enjoy green beans on the side.
This meal has 45 reviews
Turned out great. Loved the sauce. I followed suggestions in the comments and added about 1/2 cup of heavy cream at the same time as the sour cream.
I added some paprika to the flour mixture for the chicken. Next time will add some garlic powder.
Easy and flexible.
This was an easy meal for a busy night. I wish the pan sauce was a little thinner and that the lemon flavor wasn’t quite so strong. I would make it again, but adjust the ratio of the stock and lemon juice, and not reduce it as much. Unlike other reviewers, I did like the tanginess of the sour cream. I wouldn’t change that.
Subbed snap peas for green beans, and steamed instead of microwaved. Also used almond flour instead of regular flour. The pan sauce with Greek yogurt was delicious!!
Definitely toddler-worthy. My two and a half year old lapped the sauce up with a spoon. Chicken and green beans turned out very well.