Succotash Pasta Salad
with corn / lima beans / vegan sausage
Mid-summer weather is great for pasta salads that can be served warm or chilled. This version is inspired by the classic Southern vegetable dish - succotash.
Smarts: Lima beans are a classic addition to succotash, but check the package for cooking directions. We found a wide range of cook times recommended in the options at our local grocery store as it will depend on whether the beans are blanched or pre-cooked before freezing. If you aren't a fan of lima beans, shelled edamame or another bean (like pinto or white beans) would work well.
- Pasta, fusilli or penne - 8 oz
- Lima beans, frozen - 1 1/2 cups (sub shelled edamame or canned beans like pinto or white)
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Vegan sausage - 8 oz, sliced
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen and defrosted
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Pasta / Lima beans (if using) - Boil pasta and lima beans according to package directions. Lima beans are sometimes pre-boiled before freezing and may need only to be boiled for a few minutes to cook properly. If the cook times are similar, you can add both of these ingredients to a pot of salted boiling water at the same time, or get one started boiling and add the second ingredient after a few minutes. (Note: If not using lima beans, just cook pasta now and wait to add other beans.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Vegan sausage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together oregano, red pepper flakes, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Beans (if using a canned beans instead of frozen lima beans) - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and vegan sausage. Saute until onions are opaque and sausage is lightly browned, ~5 minutes.
- Add corn and beans (if using something other than lima beans) and saute until warmed through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- To mixing bowl, add pasta / lima beans, tomatoes, and dressing. Season with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
This was so tasty! We subbed veggie sausage for the real sausage, increased the Old Bay, and enjoyed getting messy with this delicious dish for a couple of days in a row. We didn't end up making the salad in this recipe, but just using some random stuff we had around for a salad.0 Helpful
Wow, what a treat! This was so good. Use the big jumbo shrimp. Easy to prepare, but took me longer than the stated time... probably because my 5-year old daughter wanted to help me prepare dinner tonight. (It is a good meal to prep with kids.) I was surprised to see my kids going for seconds... we all loved this meal! Saved to favs and will make this next time we have company for dinner.0 Helpful
I didn't make the salad, but the shrimp boil was a hit even with the kids.0 Helpful
This was hit but the dressing seemed a bit off.0 Helpful
Chose to make my own “Old Bay” because I can’t handle much heat. Worked great and results were delicious. Will absolutely make this again!0 Helpful
I did this in the Instant Pot because it was really really hot and it worked pretty well. I used the Cook Smarts ingredients (minus the shrimp) and 1 can of beer (stock of water would work too) for 5 minutes on high pressure, and then added the shrimp for 1 minute more. The flavors were awesome.0 Helpful