Succotash Pasta Saladwith corn / lima beans / vegan sausage
Mid-summer weather is great for pasta salads that can be served warm or chilled. This version is inspired by the classic Southern vegetable dish - succotash.
Smarts: Lima beans are a classic addition to succotash, but check the package for cooking directions. We found a wide range of cook times recommended in the options at our local grocery store as it will depend on whether the beans are blanched or pre-cooked before freezing. If you aren't a fan of lima beans, shelled edamame or another bean (like pinto or white beans) would work well.
- Pasta, fusilli or penne - 8 oz
- Lima beans, frozen - 1 1/2 cups (sub shelled edamame or canned beans like pinto or white)
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Vegan sausage - 8 oz, sliced
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen and defrosted
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Pasta / Lima beans (if using) - Boil pasta and lima beans according to package directions. Lima beans are sometimes pre-boiled before freezing and may need only to be boiled for a few minutes to cook properly. If the cook times are similar, you can add both of these ingredients to a pot of salted boiling water at the same time, or get one started boiling and add the second ingredient after a few minutes. (Note: If not using lima beans, just cook pasta now and wait to add other beans.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Vegan sausage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together oregano, red pepper flakes, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Beans (if using a canned beans instead of frozen lima beans) - Prep as directed.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions and vegan sausage. Saute until onions are opaque and sausage is lightly browned, ~5 minutes.
- Add corn and beans (if using something other than lima beans) and saute until warmed through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- To mixing bowl, add pasta / lima beans, tomatoes, and dressing. Season with some salt and pepper. Enjoy!
This meal has 20 reviews
I didn't make the salad, but the shrimp boil was a hit even with the kids.
This was hit but the dressing seemed a bit off.
Chose to make my own “Old Bay” because I can’t handle much heat. Worked great and results were delicious. Will absolutely make this again!
I did this in the Instant Pot because it was really really hot and it worked pretty well. I used the Cook Smarts ingredients (minus the shrimp) and 1 can of beer (stock of water would work too) for 5 minutes on high pressure, and then added the shrimp for 1 minute more. The flavors were awesome.
Really delicious and surprisingly easy. We substituted vegan sausage to make pescatarian. It seems a shame that the vegetarian version didn't just leave out the shrimp; everything else would still have been filling and amazing. I wouldn't bother making the salad with this one again--the entree had plenty going on already, and the salad was underwhelming.
It's was okay, would probably use a different dressing next time but gets an extra 🌟 for being super quick to throw together and filling too.