Shrimp Boilwith sausage / sweet potatoes / green salad
A shrimp boil is a festive and fun mid-summer meal. It's a little bit messy so is great to serve outside if the weather cooperates. Just boil everything together, spread out on a serving platter or newspaper-lined table and enjoy. Check out this video from the first time we featured the meal in 2017 to see how it's done.
Smarts: Old Bay is a seasoning mix that is the classic flavor of a shrimp boil, but feel free to use any other spice mix you prefer!
- Shrimp, large and unpeeled - 1 lb
- Onions, medium - 1, quartered
- Sausage, any smoked or pre-cooked (opt) - 8 oz, cut into 3” / 7.6 cm pieces (like smoked andouille)
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, 2" / 5 cm cubes
- Lemons - 1, halved
- Old Bay seasoning - 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp (sub any other seasoning mix like Cajun)
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Dipping sauces of choice - for serving (like cocktail sauce for shrimp)
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Season generously with salt and add first part of Old Bay. Squeeze juice from lemons into water and then drop lemon rinds into water. Bring to a boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, prepare shrimp. Leave peels on the shrimp but slice the shrimp down the back and remove veins (this may have already been done by the fishmonger).
- When water is boiling, add potatoes and onions. Boil for 10 minutes, until potatoes are starting to turn tender.
- While potatoes are boiling, in a large mixing bowl whisk together honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Add lettuce and tomatoes to dressing. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Add sausage to potatoes and continue to boil for 5 minutes more.
- Add shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp is opaque, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Drain shrimp boil and transfer to a large serving platter.
- Melt butter in the microwave and stir in second part of Old Bay. Drizzle butter over shrimp boil.
- Toss salad. Serve shrimp boil with dipping sauces of choice and salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 20 reviews
I didn't make the salad, but the shrimp boil was a hit even with the kids.
This was hit but the dressing seemed a bit off.
Chose to make my own “Old Bay” because I can’t handle much heat. Worked great and results were delicious. Will absolutely make this again!
I did this in the Instant Pot because it was really really hot and it worked pretty well. I used the Cook Smarts ingredients (minus the shrimp) and 1 can of beer (stock of water would work too) for 5 minutes on high pressure, and then added the shrimp for 1 minute more. The flavors were awesome.
Really delicious and surprisingly easy. We substituted vegan sausage to make pescatarian. It seems a shame that the vegetarian version didn't just leave out the shrimp; everything else would still have been filling and amazing. I wouldn't bother making the salad with this one again--the entree had plenty going on already, and the salad was underwhelming.
It's was okay, would probably use a different dressing next time but gets an extra 🌟 for being super quick to throw together and filling too.