Chicken Fajita Salad
with pico de gallo
Chicken fajita salads are a great way to enjoy all the flavor of fajitas in a paleo-friendly bowl with this recipe that was first featured in 2017. Use a quick spice mix to infuse chicken, peppers, and onions with flavor.
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro (opt) - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make southwestern spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika (portion for the spice mix), cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey, and paprika (portion for the vinaigrette). Whisk while adding in olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro (if using) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice, toss with spice mix, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
- Chop avocados.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and onions and saute until chicken is cooked through and peppers are tender, ~3 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime juice (portion for the chicken salad) over top.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro (if using), and lime juice (portion for the pico). Season with some salt.
- Assemble salads by topping shredded lettuce with chicken and peppers, avocados, and pico de gallo. Top with paprika vinaigrette and enjoy!
My kids loved this! I loved how easy it was to put together.0 Helpful
So good and came together incredibly quickly!0 Helpful
I skipped the corn and doubled the garbanzos rather than doing a mix of beans and this was still a very filling breakfast. I really think making the pico makes a difference here because I don't think I would have liked it as much with store-bought.0 Helpful
Easy and good. I enjoyed a meatless meal0 Helpful
Subbed sweet potato for farro.0 Helpful
Quick easy and tasty. A good one to add into regular rotation.0 Helpful