Chicken Fajita Salad
with pico de gallo
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro (opt) - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Make southwestern spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika (portion for the spice mix), cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey, and paprika (portion for the vinaigrette). Whisk while adding in olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro (if using) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice, toss with spice mix, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce - Chop lettuce.
- Chop avocados.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and onions and saute until chicken is cooked through and peppers are tender, ~3 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime juice (portion for the chicken salad) over top.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro (if using), and lime juice (portion for the pico). Season with some salt.
- Assemble salads by topping shredded lettuce with chicken and peppers, avocados, and pico de gallo. Top with paprika vinaigrette and enjoy!
Family loves this (even my 7 yo liked it tonight). Super quick for a weeknight meal (I use store bought salsa)0 Helpful
Loved this meal. I used store bought fresh salsa, omitted the chips and substituted jack cheese for the sour cream, but made no other changes. Delicious and so easy. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
This was excellent! Next time I might double the spice mix, but it was fine as is. Found a chipotle spice mix and added that. No one missed meat with this one.0 Helpful
My kids loved this! I loved how easy it was to put together.0 Helpful
So good and came together incredibly quickly!0 Helpful
I skipped the corn and doubled the garbanzos rather than doing a mix of beans and this was still a very filling breakfast. I really think making the pico makes a difference here because I don't think I would have liked it as much with store-bought.0 Helpful