Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowl
with rice / pico de gallo
Recreate your favorite burrito bowl at home instead of paying for take-out. These vegetarian bowls were first featured in 2017 and can be easily customized - just set out all of the ingredients and let everyone dive in.
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen and defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, gluten-free (opt) - ~4 cups
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro (opt) - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make southwestern spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro (if using) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Limes / Corn - Prep as directed.
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then corn and both types of beans. Add spice mix and saute until beans are heated through and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro (if using), and lime juice. Season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Set out all of the burrito bowl ingredients - bean / corn mixture, rice, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, sour cream, tortilla chips, and lime wedges. Let everyone assemble their bowls at the table. Enjoy!
My kids loved this! I loved how easy it was to put together.0 Helpful
So good and came together incredibly quickly!0 Helpful
I skipped the corn and doubled the garbanzos rather than doing a mix of beans and this was still a very filling breakfast. I really think making the salsa makes a difference here because I don't think I would have liked it as much with store-bought salsa.0 Helpful
Easy and good. I enjoyed a meatless meal0 Helpful
Subbed sweet potato for farro.0 Helpful
Quick easy and tasty. A good one to add into regular rotation.0 Helpful