Southwestern Spiced Chickpea Burrito Bowl
with farro / pico de gallo
Recreate your favorite burrito bowl at home instead of paying for take-out. These vegetarian bowls were first featured in 2017 (we've updated them to add farro that was cooked earlier in the week) and can be easily customized - just set out all of the ingredients and let everyone dive in.
Smarts: Homemade pico de gallo adds a fresh element to these bowls, but feel free to use store-bought salsa or pico de gallo (from the produce section) to save time.
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, sliced
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen and defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips (opt) - ~4 cups
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro (opt) - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Farro - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make southwestern spice mix - Combine coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro (if using) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Limes / Corn - Prep as directed.
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil and then corn and both types of beans. Add spice mix and saute until beans are heated through and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Finish the pico de gallo by stirring together tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos, cilantro (if using), and lime juice. Season with some salt.
- If farro was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Set out all of the burrito bowl ingredients - bean / corn mixture, farro, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, sour cream, tortilla chips, and lime wedges. Let everyone assemble their bowls at the table. Enjoy!
Loved this meal. I used store bought fresh salsa, omitted the chips and substituted jack cheese for the sour cream, but made no other changes. Delicious and so easy. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
This was excellent! Next time I might double the spice mix, but it was fine as is. Found a chipotle spice mix and added that. No one missed meat with this one.0 Helpful
My kids loved this! I loved how easy it was to put together.0 Helpful
So good and came together incredibly quickly!0 Helpful
I skipped the corn and doubled the garbanzos rather than doing a mix of beans and this was still a very filling breakfast. I really think making the pico makes a difference here because I don't think I would have liked it as much with store-bought.0 Helpful
Easy and good. I enjoyed a meatless meal0 Helpful