Caprese Portobello Burgerswith strawberry spinach salad
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stem and use the side of a spoon to scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give portobello mushrooms a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the lower heat setting. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after mushrooms are done (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- Place mushrooms onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
This meal has 24 reviews
Subtle and fantastic flavor combos.
Very much enjoyed this with bison and no bun
Sooo good!! Would not have changed a thing about the burger!
*Italian kiss thing* MWAH! so good.
Delicious and relatively quick! I agree with the suggestions that some kind of aioli would be a great addition to this.
I love caprese anything and the burger was great, but would be even better with a balsamic glaze vs. balsamic vinegar. I think I’d do less garlic less next time.