Caprese Portobello Burgers
with strawberry spinach salad
Caprese Portobello Burgers:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz , sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1 , sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Spinach and Strawberry Salad:
- Strawberries - 8 oz , sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stem and use the side of a spoon to scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give portobello mushrooms a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the lower heat setting. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after mushrooms are done (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- Place mushrooms onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.