with strawberry spinach salad
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz , sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1 , sliced
- Hamburger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Spinach and Strawberry Salad:
- Strawberries - 8 oz , sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix Tamari, garlic powder, and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3 cm thick patties. Press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move patties to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.