Caprese Burgerswith strawberry spinach salad
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Hamburger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix Tamari, garlic powder, and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3 cm thick patties. Press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move patties to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
Subtle and fantastic flavor combos.0 Helpful
Very much enjoyed this with bison and no bun0 Helpful
Sooo good!! Would not have changed a thing about the burger!0 Helpful
*Italian kiss thing* MWAH! so good.0 Helpful
Delicious and relatively quick! I agree with the suggestions that some kind of aioli would be a great addition to this.0 Helpful
I love caprese anything and the burger was great, but would be even better with a balsamic glaze vs. balsamic vinegar. I think I’d do less garlic less next time.0 Helpful