Caprese Burgerswith strawberry spinach salad
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix soy sauce, garlic powder, and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3 cm thick patties. Press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move patties to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
Good flavors. Came together quick and easy. Didn’t use buns at our house. Great use for yummy summer tomatoes and basil0 Helpful
Burger was great. Salad was just a salad.0 Helpful
Loved all of this even without the bun. Used our first homegrown tomato and basil. Easy dinner but a twist on regular burgers.0 Helpful
Really yummy, but drizzling the balsamic on top of the completed burger was messy. Next time I think I'd drizzle it somewhere in the middle like on top of the meat or cheese so it doesn't make the buns all soggy.0 Helpful
I loved the salad portion. The dressing is going in my frequent rotation. The burger was well seasoned, too.0 Helpful
Quick, easy and delicious. Had to skip the salad because my kids had eaten all the strawberries :-)0 Helpful