Caprese Burgerswith strawberry spinach salad
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp (sub honey)
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ~6 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together vinegar (portion for vinaigrette), maple syrup, and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix soy sauce, garlic powder, and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3 cm thick patties. Press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cheese / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on both sides.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Move patties to indirect heat, close the grill, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar (portion for burger; it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with spinach, strawberries, and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
This meal has 24 reviews
Substituted Impossible burgers, which meant we had to drizzle on the seasonings while it was cooking. It turned out great and was just as delicious for leftovers.
The burger recipe seemed to be lacking so I chopped up some basil and mixed it in with a few Italian bread crumbs. The result was popular with the meat eaters in our family.
Used veggie burgers instead. Delicious!
There was another portobello burger recipe from cooksmarts that was out of this world! This one was just okay. Not enough flavor... It was basically just adding cooked mushroom to caprese.
I loved the salad!
Great! Quick and Easy. I made the patties with ground chicken and it was delicious.