Sesame Tofu and Green Bean Stir-Frywith rice
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1 Tbsp (sub a combination of chili garlic sauce and honey)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked - 1 cup
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Green beans - 1 lb, sliced into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Combine tofu with soy sauce and rice vinegar (portions for stir-fry). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Green beans - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers and green beans in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, water (portion for sauce), brown sugar, soy sauce (portion for sauce), vinegar (portion for sauce), gochujang, and sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Whisk together water (portion for stir-fry) and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers, green beans, and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until green beans turn bright green and start to turn golden in spots, ~3 minutes.
- Drain marinade off tofu and add tofu to vegetables. Saute until tofu is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry to simmering liquid. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on top and lime wedges on the side. Add hot sauce, if you’d like. Enjoy!
This was a hit but I wish I had added more vegetables to the stir fry to make it more nutritious. We love veggies in rice. The beef was tender too. We used a sirloin steak.0 Helpful
My meat was a little chewy, but the actual recipe was very good!0 Helpful
Very good!!0 Helpful
Every single kid ate it! Sauce had an excellent flavor and I even liked the green beans which is rare for me.0 Helpful
Totally solid meal. I gave 4 stars because I reserve 5 stars for absolutely stellar meals. Flavor good, family liked it, easy to make!0 Helpful
Tasty, and quick to make after the prep.0 Helpful