Sesame Beefwith vegetable stir-fry
This quick and easy stir-fry might come together fast, but it isn't short on flavor.
Smarts: A two-ingredient marinade adds flavor and tenderizes the beef. Even 20 minutes of marinating time will pay off, but overnight is best.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Water - 5 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Steak, skirt or flank - 1 1/2 lb, thinly sliced against the grain
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Carrots - 12 oz, thinly sliced
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Green beans - 1 lb, sliced into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate steak - Combine steak with aminos and rice vinegar (portions for stir-fry). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Carrots / Bell peppers / Green beans - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine carrots, bell peppers, and green beans in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, water (portion for sauce), honey, aminos (portion for sauce), vinegar (portion for sauce), hot sauce, and sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Whisk together water (portion for stir-fry) and arrowroot powder to make a slurry.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then carrots, bell peppers, and green beans with a pinch of salt. Saute until vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. (Add a splash of water if the pan starts to look dry during cooking.) Add white parts of green onions and saute for 1 minute more.
- Transfer vegetables to a serving plate and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil. Drain marinade off steak and add steak to heated wok. Saute until steak is nearly cooked through, ~3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over steak and bring to a simmer. Add arrowroot powder slurry to simmering liquid. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve steak and sauce over vegetables with green parts of green onions on top and lime wedges on the side. Add some more hot sauce, if you’d like. Enjoy!
This was a hit but I wish I had added more vegetables to the stir fry to make it more nutritious. We love veggies in rice. The beef was tender too. We used a sirloin steak.0 Helpful
My meat was a little chewy, but the actual recipe was very good!0 Helpful
Very good!!0 Helpful
Every single kid ate it! Sauce had an excellent flavor and I even liked the green beans which is rare for me.0 Helpful
Totally solid meal. I gave 4 stars because I reserve 5 stars for absolutely stellar meals. Flavor good, family liked it, easy to make!0 Helpful
Tasty, and quick to make after the prep.0 Helpful