Sesame Beef and Green Bean Stir-Fry
This quick and easy stir-fry might come together fast, but it isn't short on flavor.
Smarts: A two-ingredient marinade adds flavor and tenderizes the beef. Even 20 minutes of marinating time will pay off, but overnight is best.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked - 1 cup
- Steak, skirt or flank - 1 lb, thinly sliced against the grain
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Green beans - 1 lb, sliced into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate steak - Combine steak with Tamari and rice vinegar (portions for stir-fry). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Green beans - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers and green beans in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, water (portion for sauce), brown sugar, Tamari (portion for sauce), vinegar (portion for sauce), hot sauce, and sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Whisk together water (portion for stir-fry) and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers, green beans, and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until green beans turn bright green and start to turn golden in spots, ~3 minutes.
- Drain marinade off steak and add steak to vegetables. Saute until steak is nearly cooked through, ~3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over steak and vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry to simmering liquid. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on top and lime wedges on the side. Add some more hot sauce, if you’d like. Enjoy!
Ok recipe, nothing great.0 Helpful
Very easy to put together! I substituted tempeh for tofu since we like the taste better.0 Helpful
Hybrid version: original sauce recipe, but used carrots instead of rice (per paleo recipe) and also added some broccoli. Really delicious! I definitely didn't need to add hot sauce, it was plenty hot as is.0 Helpful
Yummy and easy! We like gojuchang sauce. We squeezed lime on top at the end for extra flavor.0 Helpful
I loved everything about this.0 Helpful
This was really good and pretty easy to prep. I thought we had green beans but they had gone bad so I sliced celery on the diagonal (about 1/4 inch half moons) and it was excellent and subbed that. If you like that snap of celery in stir fry but maybe don’t like beans, I’d recommend it.0 Helpful