Sesame Beef and Green Bean Stir-Frywith rice
This quick and easy stir-fry might come together fast, but it isn't short on flavor.
Smarts: A two-ingredient marinade adds flavor and tenderizes the beef. Even 20 minutes of marinating time will pay off, but overnight is best.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Gochujang - 1 Tbsp (sub a combination of chili garlic sauce and honey)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Rice, uncooked - 1 cup
- Steak, skirt or flank - 1 lb, thinly sliced against the grain
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, finely diced
- Green beans - 1 lb, sliced into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Thinly slice steak against the grain. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate steak - Combine steak with soy sauce and rice vinegar (portions for stir-fry). Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Bell peppers / Green beans - Prep as directed. Store garlic in one container. Combine bell peppers and green beans in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, water (portion for sauce), brown sugar, soy sauce (portion for sauce), vinegar (portion for sauce), gochujang, and sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Whisk together water (portion for stir-fry) and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers, green beans, and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute until green beans turn bright green and start to turn golden in spots, ~3 minutes.
- Drain marinade off steak and add steak to vegetables. Saute until steak is nearly cooked through, ~3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over steak and vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry to simmering liquid. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on top and lime wedges on the side. Add hot sauce, if you’d like. Enjoy!
This meal has 32 reviews
Pretty good overall - I liked the kick the gochujang added, but I didn’t love the lime wedge with it. I left the lime juice off of the leftovers and liked the flavor of the sauce much better on its own.
I added a fraction of the gochujang but it was still a bit too spicy for my kids. They got through it but a lot of prodding and milk was required. My husband and I loved.
Pretty good. Would up the gochujang next time, and maybe decrease the vinegar.
My second meal prepared with cooksmarts. I am an inexperienced cook. Discovered that I didn't have cornstarch in the middle of cooking. Substituted flour but the sauce was a bit too thick. I have been buying rice from local Chinese store until I'm ready to get a rice cooker. Discovered that Chinese store is closed for three days for July 4th. Had to make a detour to Whole Foods for prepared rice. Learning...slowly.
Delicious and easy to make...would like to see this one again.
Quick, easy, and tasty