Honey Dijon Lentil Salad
with barley / plums / walnuts
The unique summer-inspired flavors of this entree salad make it one that we are already turning to again and again in these warmer months.
Smarts: Everything in these salads can be prepped ahead and served at room temperature, so they make great leftovers or mason jar salads to pack for lunch!
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Barley, hulled and uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Green beans - 1 lb , 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Plums - 2 , chopped (sub peaches or apricots)
- Salad greens, any type - 8 oz , chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (canned or vacuum-packed)
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Cheese, blue - 4 oz (opt; sub feta or goat cheese)
Barley - (Skip if barley was made ahead for Wednesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for 45 to 55 minutes until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green beans - Chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Plums / Salad greens - Chop plums. Chop greens (if you bought salad greens that need to be chopped).
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts to dry skillet and saute until golden brown and fragrant, ~5 minutes. Set walnuts aside and return skillet to heat.
To heated skillet, add lentils and first part of vinaigrette. Saute until lentils are warmed through and vinaigrette reduces slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Top with green beans, barley, plums, lentils, walnuts, and crumbled cheese. Finish with second part of vinaigrette. Enjoy!