Honey Dijon Chicken Saladwith bacon / plums / walnuts
The unique summer-inspired flavors of this entree salad make it one that we are already turning to again and again in these warmer months.
Smarts: Everything in these salads can be prepped ahead and served at room temperature, so they make great leftovers or mason jar salads to pack for lunch!
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Plums - 2, chopped (sub peaches or apricots)
- Salad greens, any type - 8 oz, chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into cubes. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Plums / Salad greens - Chop plums. Chop greens (if you bought salad greens that need to be chopped).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts to dry skillet and saute until golden brown and fragrant, ~5 minutes. Set walnuts aside and return skillet to heat.
- Add bacon to heated skillet. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to cool. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) of oil and return skillet to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken. Saute until nearly cooked through, ~4 minutes. Add first part of vinaigrette and simmer until chicken is cooked through and vinaigrette cooks down, ~2 minutes more.
- Crumble bacon.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Top with green beans, bacon, plums, chicken, and walnuts. Finish with second part of vinaigrette. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
This was a nice light meal, but no real fireworks.
The flavor combination was odd but it worked. It was refreshing after several heavy meals in a row.
This was incredibly tasty, healthy and easy to make. To speed up the prep, I used a microwavable pouch of mixed barley and pulses. Absolutely delicious!!
Loved this! So good, green beans seemed strange but I cooked them and then chilled them, delicious!
Great combination of flavors and textures! Marking this one as a favorite. 👍🏻
This was a great make-ahead meal, and a pretty refreshing dinner for a hot summer day. It's a bit high calorie compared to salads I usually make, but I didn't want to leave anything out so I just went for it. :)