Honey Dijon Chicken Salad
with quinoa / plums / walnuts
The unique summer-inspired flavors of this entree salad make it one that we are already turning to again and again in these warmer months.
Smarts: Everything in these salads can be prepped ahead and served at room temperature, so they make great leftovers or mason jar salads to pack for lunch!
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/3 cup
- Green beans - 1 lb, 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Plums - 2, chopped (sub peaches or apricots)
- Salad greens, any type - 8 oz, chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Cheese, blue - 4 oz (opt; sub feta or goat cheese)
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Wednesday.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into cubes. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Plums / Salad greens - Chop plums. Chop greens (if you bought salad greens that need to be chopped).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts to dry skillet and saute until golden brown and fragrant, ~5 minutes. Set walnuts aside and return skillet to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add cooking oil. To heated oil, add chicken and saute until nearly cooked through, ~4 minutes. Add first part of vinaigrette and simmer until chicken is cooked through and vinaigrette cooks down, ~2 minutes more.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Top with green beans, quinoa, plums, chicken, walnuts, and crumbled cheese. Finish with second part of vinaigrette. Enjoy!
This was a nice light meal, but no real fireworks.0 Helpful
The flavor combination was odd but it worked. It was refreshing after several heavy meals in a row.0 Helpful
This was incredibly tasty, healthy and easy to make. To speed up the prep, I used a microwavable pouch of mixed barley and pulses. Absolutely delicious!!0 Helpful
Loved this! So good, green beans seemed strange but I cooked them and then chilled them, delicious!0 Helpful
Great combination of flavors and textures! Marking this one as a favorite. 👍🏻0 Helpful
This was a great make-ahead meal, and a pretty refreshing dinner for a hot summer day. It's a bit high calorie compared to salads I usually make, but I didn't want to leave anything out so I just went for it. :)0 Helpful