Honey Dijon Chicken Saladwith barley / plums / walnuts
The unique summer-inspired flavors of this entree salad make it one that we are already turning to again and again in these warmer months.
Smarts: Everything in these salads can be prepped ahead and served at room temperature, so they make great leftovers or mason jar salads to pack for lunch!
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 5 Tbsp
- Barley, hulled and uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Green beans - 1 lb, 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, cubed
- Plums - 2, chopped (sub peaches or apricots)
- Salad greens, any type - 8 oz, chopped
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 2 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Honey Dijon Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp + 6 Tbsp
- Cheese, blue - 4 oz (opt; sub feta or goat cheese)
- Barley - (Skip if barley was made ahead for Wednesday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for 45 to 55 minutes until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice into cubes. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Plums / Salad greens - Chop plums. Chop greens (if you bought salad greens that need to be chopped).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts to dry skillet and saute until golden brown and fragrant, ~5 minutes. Set walnuts aside and return skillet to heat.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add cooking oil. To heated oil, add chicken and saute until nearly cooked through, ~4 minutes. Add first part of vinaigrette and simmer until chicken is cooked through and vinaigrette cooks down, ~2 minutes more.
- Assemble salads by creating a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Top with green beans, barley, plums, chicken, walnuts, and crumbled cheese. Finish with second part of vinaigrette. Enjoy!
This meal has 20 reviews
The flavor combination was odd but it worked. It was refreshing after several heavy meals in a row.
This was incredibly tasty, healthy and easy to make. To speed up the prep, I used a microwavable pouch of mixed barley and pulses. Absolutely delicious!!
Loved this! So good, green beans seemed strange but I cooked them and then chilled them, delicious!
Great combination of flavors and textures! Marking this one as a favorite. 👍🏻
This was a great make-ahead meal, and a pretty refreshing dinner for a hot summer day. It's a bit high calorie compared to salads I usually make, but I didn't want to leave anything out so I just went for it. :)
Loved the dressing! I think the chicken needed something more.