Spiced Chickpea Grain Bowls
with barley / chimichurri sauce
From spiced chickpeas and vegetables to a final topping of creamy yogurt chimichurri sauce, these grain bowls have layers of flavor. They got high reviews for being easy to prepare and making great lunch leftovers when featured in 2018.
- Cilantro - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Parsley - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Capers - 1 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/3 cup
- Barley, hulled and uncooked - 2/3 cup
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Cucumbers - 12 oz, diced
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Chimichurri sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Barley - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt water generously and add barley. Simmer for 45 to 55 minutes until tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt (portion for grain bowls). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Zucchini - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chimichurri sauce - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, shallots, capers, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and oil (portions for chimichurri) in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add some additional oil if the sauce is too thick to blend easily. Season to taste with some salt or some more lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Dice cucumbers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for grain bowls) and then peppers and zucchini. Saute until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add beans and spice mix. Saute for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over top. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir chimichurri into yogurt.
- Reheat barley in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Divide barley between serving bowls. Top with beans, vegetables, and cucumbers. Finish with yogurt-chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!
Second time making this meal. It was just as good as I remembered!0 Helpful
This was very good. Subbed white rice with some lime. My daughter didn't like the yogurt version of the sauce, so I will set aside some plain chimichurri for her next time. Favorite.0 Helpful
I would never have thought of this combination, but I loved it0 Helpful
Delicious! Can also substitute white or brown rice for the barley :)0 Helpful
Really enjoyed this. Sauteed it all in a skillet instead of grilling to save time. Skewers are such a pain.0 Helpful
this was pretty good! our meat was a bit too fatty, but the peppers and sauce were really nice. we used rice instead of barley and that was very good.0 Helpful