Mexican-Spiced Ground Turkey and Mushroomswith guacamole / spinach salad
With a savory blend of spices, this quick saute is flavorful and fast. Top the turkey and mushrooms with guacamole for an additional Mexican touch!
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 3 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 1/2 lbs
- Tomatoes, any type - 6 oz, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Make guacamole - Mash avocados. Add shallots, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce (if using). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for turkey / mushrooms) and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are tender, ~4 minutes.
- Add garlic, turkey, and spice mix. Saute turkey and mushrooms together until turkey is cooked through, ~5 minutes more.
- Whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and paprika. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Top with spinach and tomatoes. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- Divide turkey and mushrooms between serving plates. Serve with guacamole on top and salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
Way better than I expected!
Pretty delicious for how simple it was. Favourited!
Added black beans to the quesadillas. Also needed about 2x as much filling - the meal would have been slight otherwise. Didn't get to make the guac since my avocados were rock solid.
This was good but not particularly noteworthy--just standard quesadillas. For a little extra, we might add squash, sweet potatoes, or some vegan sausage.
This was delicious. I held back on the cheese and next time I would be more generous with it. Nice flavors--really easy.
Easy to make and pretty good but I think it needed some protein to me satisfied longer