Mushroom and Corn Quesadilla with guacamole / spinach salad
This vegetarian quesadilla has a blend of savory mushrooms and sweet corn and is topped with guacamole.
Smarts: In testing, we preferred the flavor of corn tortillas here, but flour tortillas work well, too.
Smarts: If you have a large griddle, it's worth getting it out for this recipe (or even use two skillets at once). The cook time is much faster if you can cook more than one quesadilla at a time.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 3 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn - 8 (sub flour tortillas)
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 8 oz (sub shredded cheddar)
- Tomatoes, any type - 6 oz, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Defrost in the microwave. Drain off any liquid.
- Make guacamole - Mash avocados. Add shallots, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce (if using). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for quesadillas) and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are very tender, ~5 minutes. Add garlic, corn, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle (if you don’t have a griddle, wipe out the skillet you used for the mushrooms and use that) over medium heat. Working in batches, add one tortilla to the heated griddle. Top with some of the cheese, mushroom / corn mixture, and then another tortilla. Cook, flipping halfway through cooking, until the tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- While quesadillas cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and paprika. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Top with spinach and tomatoes. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- When quesadillas are all cooked, transfer to a cutting board and slice into wedges.
- Serve quesadillas with guacamole and salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
Yummy, but definitely not enough filling for 4. I got 3 quesadillas out of the filling.
Overall liked it. Found the corn tortillas somewhat hard. We made 1 1/2 times the amount and had enough left for leftovers. We also added bacon which was good
This was vey good, however there was not enough mixture for the serving size, so we didn’t get to make as many quesadillas as we planned. We would recommend making 1.5x the amount of quesadilla mixture.
Really easy and delicious!