Mushroom and Corn Quesadilla with guacamole / spinach salad
This vegetarian quesadilla has a blend of savory mushrooms and sweet corn and is topped with guacamole.
Smarts: In testing, we preferred the flavor of corn tortillas here, but flour tortillas work well, too.
Smarts: If you have a large griddle, it's worth getting it out for this recipe (or even use two skillets at once). The cook time is much faster if you can cook more than one quesadilla at a time.
- Shallots - 1 clove, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 3 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn - 8 (sub flour tortillas)
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 8 oz (sub shredded cheddar)
- Tomatoes, any type - 6 oz, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Corn - Defrost in the microwave. Drain off any liquid.
- Make guacamole - Mash avocados. Add shallots, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce (if using). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for quesadillas) and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are very tender, ~5 minutes. Add garlic, corn, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle (if you don’t have a griddle, wipe out the skillet you used for the mushrooms and use that) over medium heat. Working in batches, add one tortilla to the heated griddle. Top with some of the cheese, mushroom / corn mixture, and then another tortilla. Cook, flipping halfway through cooking, until the tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- While quesadillas cook, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and paprika. Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Top with spinach and tomatoes. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- When quesadillas are all cooked, transfer to a cutting board and slice into wedges.
- Serve quesadillas with guacamole and salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 21 reviews
Pretty delicious for how simple it was. Favourited!
Added black beans to the quesadillas. Also needed about 2x as much filling - the meal would have been slight otherwise. Didn't get to make the guac since my avocados were rock solid.
This was good but not particularly noteworthy--just standard quesadillas. For a little extra, we might add squash, sweet potatoes, or some vegan sausage.
This was delicious. I held back on the cheese and next time I would be more generous with it. Nice flavors--really easy.
Easy to make and pretty good but I think it needed some protein to me satisfied longer
Ehhh.... wasn't impressed with this combination.