Panzanella with marinated feta / kalamata olives / green beans
Crisp toasted bread is the key feature of a panzanella salad. Add it just before serving so it retains its crunch. This Italian-inspired salad was first featured in a meal plan in 2015.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz
- Oil, olive - 1/4 cup
- Green beans - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf)
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Bread, thick-cut / Italian-style - 4 slices
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Garlic (for feta and vinaigrette) - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Feta - Slice feta into 1/2” / 1.25 cm cubes. Gently toss with garlic (portion for feta) and transfer to a small bowl or jar. Pour olive oil (portion for feta) over feta and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Combine garlic (portion for vinaigrette) with vinegar, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil (portion for vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Slice bread into 1” / 2.5 cm cubes. Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and bread cubes and toast until golden brown and crisp on all sides, ~5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove feta from marinade.
- To assemble salads, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, olives, and feta. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Just before serving, add bread cubes and toss to combine. (Do this at the very last minute so the bread stays crunchy.) Enjoy!
This meal has 8 reviews
Chicken was delicious. I substitute walnuts for bread. Steamed the beans instead of microwave. I keep the parts separate so I can make multiple repeats this week without any work.
I always enjoy the salads!
The chicken was delicious for this recipe. I wasn’t a huge fan of the green beans in the salad, and for whatever reason I wasn’t really feeling the rest of the salad either. A+ for the chicken, the rest was just filler IMO
Not bad, but not my favorite.
Not a fan. Maybe we steamed our greens too much, but it was just... a pile of meh.
simple, yummy. I didn't have the beans so skipped it.