Grilled Chicken Salad
with walnuts / kalamata olives / green beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb, halved
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Green beans - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup, sliced
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf)
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey, and lemon juice. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Slice chicken breasts in half. Tenderize with a fork and combine with half the vinaigrette (reserve the other half to dress the salad). Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Walnuts - (Optional) If you’d like the walnuts toasted for the salad, place them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Saute, stirring frequently, until fragrant, ~5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 400F / 163C degrees, keeping one part over direct heat and one part over indirect heat. Brush grates with some cooking oil. Place chicken over direct heat. Sear chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and transfer to indirect heat. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees, an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- If cooking on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some cooking oil and sear chicken on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil or lid, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees.
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- To assemble salads, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, walnuts, green beans, olives, and chicken. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Enjoy!
Chicken was delicious. I substitute walnuts for bread. Steamed the beans instead of microwave. I keep the parts separate so I can make multiple repeats this week without any work.0 Helpful
I always enjoy the salads!0 Helpful
The chicken was delicious for this recipe. I wasn’t a huge fan of the green beans in the salad, and for whatever reason I wasn’t really feeling the rest of the salad either. A+ for the chicken, the rest was just filler IMO0 Helpful
Not bad, but not my favorite.0 Helpful
Not a fan. Maybe we steamed our greens too much, but it was just... a pile of meh.0 Helpful
simple, yummy. I didn't have the beans so skipped it.0 Helpful