Black Bean and Zucchini Tacos with lime slaw / avocado / sour cream
Black beans and zucchini in a blend of spices give these tacos a great balance of textures. Add avocado and sour cream for a creamy finish.
Smarts: In many tropical countries pineapple and other fruits are topped with a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of chili powder - it's a unique way to balance out the natural sweetness of the fruit. Feel free to serve the pineapple spears without those toppings if you prefer.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Zucchini - 16 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chipotle peppers - 1, chopped (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Salsa - for serving
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Pineapple, medium - 1, sliced into spears (look for pre-sliced pineapple to save time)
- Chili powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Zucchini / Garlic / Chipotle pepper - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Whisk together honey, lime juice, and oil (portion for slaw). Add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Spread out on a serving plate and sprinkle with chili powder and salt (or serve the spears without the topping if you prefer).
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for tacos) and then zucchini. Saute until zucchini is golden brown and tender, ~4 minutes. Add beans, cumin, oregano, garlic, and chipotle pepper. Saute until beans are heated through, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Give slaw a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Set out tortillas, zucchini / beans, slaw, onions, avocados, cilantro, lime wedges, salsa, and sour cream. Assemble tacos at the table (put slaw on top or serve it on the side). Serve with pineapple. Enjoy!
This meal has 35 reviews
So yummy. The slaw on the taco with the beef made the perfect flavor/texture combo.
This was very good and easy. We put the slaw on the tacos. I would use more avocado next time. I think it would also be delicious to grill the pineapple and put in on the tacos.
Really good, but I do have a question - I've had several recipes as for a "chuck" roast. I've never actually been able to find a cut of meat labelled "chuck". Is there another name for this particular cut? I got a boneless blade pot roast in this case, and I've used various cuts of meat in place of "chuck" before. I just think it's strange that so many recipes call for something that doesn't seem to exist....
Loved this! I used the Instant Pot for the meat to save time, and it worked great for this recipe. Added sliced radishes and Greek yogurt to the tacos. Used TJ's Chili Lime seasoning on the pineapple, which was delicious!
Made for Father's Day, husband really liked it. I made it with pork bc TJs didn't have a beef roast.
Shredded zucchini to incorporate it better. Pretty tasty!