Black Bean and Zucchini Tacos with lime slaw / avocado / sour cream
Black beans and zucchini in a blend of spices give these tacos a great balance of textures. Add avocado and sour cream for a creamy finish.
Smarts: In many tropical countries pineapple and other fruits are topped with a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of chili powder - it's a unique way to balance out the natural sweetness of the fruit. Feel free to serve the pineapple spears without those toppings if you prefer.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Zucchini - 16 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chipotle peppers - 1, chopped (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Salsa - for serving
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Pineapple, medium - 1, sliced into spears (look for pre-sliced pineapple to save time)
- Chili powder (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Zucchini / Garlic / Chipotle pepper - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Whisk together honey, lime juice, and oil (portion for slaw). Add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Cilantro / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Spread out on a serving plate and sprinkle with chili powder and salt (or serve the spears without the topping if you prefer).
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for tacos) and then zucchini. Saute until zucchini is golden brown and tender, ~4 minutes. Add beans, cumin, oregano, garlic, and chipotle pepper. Saute until beans are heated through, ~2 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Give slaw a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Set out tortillas, zucchini / beans, slaw, onions, avocados, cilantro, lime wedges, salsa, and sour cream. Assemble tacos at the table (put slaw on top or serve it on the side). Serve with pineapple. Enjoy!
The slaw was a hit with everyone which we put on the taco. As was meat with all Meat eaters. Used 1/2 the cumin. Variety of lettuce wrap or taco shell. Glad we added the pineapple! Will make again!0 Helpful
SO GOOD!0 Helpful
Tbsp and a half of cumin and oregano. 1.5c of stock 30-35” instant pot on meat setting @ high0 Helpful
So yummy. The slaw on the taco with the beef made the perfect flavor/texture combo.0 Helpful
This was very good and easy. We put the slaw on the tacos. I would use more avocado next time. I think it would also be delicious to grill the pineapple and put in on the tacos.0 Helpful
Really good, but I do have a question - I've had several recipes as for a "chuck" roast. I've never actually been able to find a cut of meat labelled "chuck". Is there another name for this particular cut? I got a boneless blade pot roast in this case, and I've used various cuts of meat in place of "chuck" before. I just think it's strange that so many recipes call for something that doesn't seem to exist....0 Helpful