Za’atar Chickpea and Quinoa Bowl
with walnuts / tomatoes / red onions / broccolini
Za’atar Chickpea and Quinoa Bowl:
- Walnut, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Broccolini - 1 bunch , chopped
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , chopped
- Olives, pitted Kalamata - 1/2 cup , sliced
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked quinoa (ingredients listed separately) - 2 1/4 cups
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
Creamy Lemon Cilantro Sauce:
- Cilantro - 1/2 Tbsp , chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Quinoa - (If making Thursday’s meal, cook quinoa for that night at the same time.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts - (Optional) If you’d like the walnuts toasted for the bowls, place them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Saute, stirring frequently, until fragrant, ~5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Onions / Olives - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop cilantro and garlic. Combine cilantro, garlic, honey, lemon juice, and sour cream. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - drain and rinse.
- Toss beans with first part of oil and za'atar.
- Heat a skillet with second part of oil over medium-high heat. Add broccolini and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside and return pan to heat.
- Add beans and onions to heated pan. Saute until onions are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve portion for Thursday if it was cooked at the same time).
- Set out quinoa, broccolini, beans / onions, olives, tomatoes, walnuts, and sauce and customize bowls at the table. Enjoy!